It takes more than just pushing a few buttons to perform a stellar DJ set. Crafting a compelling mix that sets the tone for an exciting gaming or esports event requires the opin of a seasoned DJ. They have to piece together beats and tracks that vibrate with the energy of the crowd – no easy feat! Read on to explore the challenge of assembling a great set for gaming and esports events, and how top DJs take it on with aplomb.
1.Understanding Esports & Games
When you are talking about esports and video games, you are discussing an evolving phenomenon that is taking the entertainment and gaming world by storm. With an ever-growing industry, it is important to have an understanding of the basics behind it, from what it entails to the booming presence of the culture and lifestyle associated with esports.
- Culture & Trends: Esports and gaming are more than just skills and strategy; they have an environment of passion, trends, and style. It is an ever-evolving culture, and it shares something with every different promotional concept and streamer.
- Types Of Games: There are a variety of different game types in the esports and gaming world, from MOBA’s like League Of Legends, to battle-based games like Overwatch & Call Of Duty, to games of strategy like Hearthstone and Civilization 6. It is important to get familiar with these genres and what makes them different in the competitive gaming world.
2.Choosing the Right Songs
Finding Your Voice
Picking the right songs for your repertoire is essential for finding and refining your voice as a performer. Tailoring your performance pieces to highlight your songwriting, vocal, and instrumental strengths is key. You will also want to grow your audience by selecting songs that will create a positive reaction and connection with your listeners.
Take time to research which songs may fit into your vocal and instrumental skill-set and challenge yourself with picking songs that will grow your talent. You may take a listening approach by researching and listening to other artist’s interpretations of your favorite songs, or you can explore new genres outside of your wheelhouse. Give yourself permission to create unique versions that highlight your style of singing and playing.
As you consider different pieces for your repertoire, it’s important to consider how the song will engage your audience. Ask yourself, “Will my audience connect with this song?” or, “If I’m doing a cover of a popular song, what will set my version apart?” Choose songs that have a strong story and build a connection with the message behind it.
Additionally, include songs that your audience can connect with emotionally. Select tunes that emphasize your vision and values. Your songs can unite your audience by;
- Giving them a perspective they previously didn’t have
- Elevating the mood to feel empowered or create a call to action
- Motivating the audience to stay focused and energized
Your selection of songs should be aimed at conveying a message and creating an enjoyable experience for your listeners. Put thought into what music will authentically represent your story and how you want to convey it to your followers.
3.Preparing the Playlist for the Event
When it comes to selecting the music for an event, there are a few key things to keep in mind. From choosing the appropriate genres to ensuring everyone can find at least one song to move their feet to, creating the perfect playlist can be a tricky task. Here are a few tips on what to do when preparing the playlist:
- Take Attendees’ Preferences Into Account – If you know what kind of music the majority of the guests usually listens to, it’s always a good idea to cater to their taste.
- Mix Genres To Suit Everyone – While preparing the playlist, be sure to mix up the genres. Despite their personal preferences, most people tend to enjoy some form of music.
- AVOID Offending Anyone – Keep your playlist appropriate – not too heavy on the explicit content. It’s best practice to keep the lyrics family-friendly if you don’t want to offend anyone.
When it comes to ensuring that your event will be a success, the atmosphere and entertainment are key factors. So, when curating the playlist for your event, be sure to take into account your attendees’ preferences, mix up the genres, and avoid songs with inappropriate lyrics. That way, you can rest assured that everyone will enjoy the music.
4.Getting Familiar with the Audience
Audiences play a key role in any successful business endeavour. Understanding the target audience is essential for creating a successful brand and product. Here are a few tips on how to get to know your audience better.
- Gather data – Collect data about your current customers and potential buyers through research. Consider surveys, analytics, and customers’ feedback.
- Identify segments – Use the data to identify common characteristics between customers and divide them into different segments.
- Understand the needs – Become aware of the different needs and desires of each segment. Ask questions and track the responses.
- Build relationships – Start building relationships with the audiences that will respond better to your product and service.
Once you’ve collected data, identified segments, and started building relationships with the audiences, it’s time to take the next step and customize products and services based on the customer’s needs. This will ensure that the messages are targeted appropriately and that the customers receive what they expect from the brand.
Whether it is the audience’s expectations or the unique technical setup, DJs often have to change their approach when encountering a gaming or esports event. Once they do, they can use their creativity and talent to create an unforgettable soundtrack that launches the event into its highest heights. With their skillful combination of music, timing, and problem-solving, DJs bring a unique flavor to these events, making them ones to remember.